Play: “Under Milk Wood”

Reading time: 2 minutes...

We travelled over to Stratford upon Avon to see “Under Milk Wood” directed by our good friend and business colleague, Ian McLean of Second Thoughts.

We decided to drive over there a bit earlier so we could look round the shops and finish off the Christmas shopping! We were pretty successful, getting quite a few bits an pieces for the family and friends.

cafepasta2008 After moving the car out of the car-park in favour of some free parking, we had a bite to eat at around five o’clock at Cafe Pasta in Sheep Street. The service was fast and the food was very good indeed!

It was then off to the Play. It was p****** down with rain and the small car-park opposite was closed. Fortunately we found a pay-and-display just down the road…but we still got soaked!

undermilkwood2008 The Civic Hall was packed (maybe because it was the final performance). We weren’t familiar with the Play, but we’d swotted up beforehand via Wikipedia. For us, the narrative was quite deep and meaningful and the acting was SUPERB given that it was originally a Play for radio. It must have a nightmare for Ian to pull-together – lots of lighting cues, plus lots of sound effects, actors playing more-than-one part and plenty of short spoken pieces – in some cases delivered at extreme speed. Add to that, the fact that some of the delivery came from off-stage and you have a Play that for the inexperienced Producer (not Ian!) might have been a step-too-far.

milkwoodcastThe highlight for me (and I suspect the rest of the male population there) there was Deborah Steade (a tall, very sexy leggy brunette) flashing her marambas during the final scenes!!! Something like this is very unusual for the Second Thoughts Group and I wondered if it surprised a few people – Actually, I think it certainly surprised the guy in the front row immediately opposite her – his eyes nearly popped out of his head (but fortunately it was his EYES and nothing else!! 🙂

The Play finished around 10 and we left shortly afterwards after saying good-bye to Pat, Ann and Alice. The rain on the roads home was plentiful and it certainly made the driving a little more challenging. We eventually got in around 11.30

Keep Reading



Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *